Mini Rex Breed Information
- The Mini Rex rabbit is basically a smaller version of the Rex Rabbit. This rabbit was derived from the Standard Rex breed. The rabbit has fairly short ears; the face is quite thick but not particularly short. The body is rounded and close coupled. These medium size rabbits are available in a variety of colors - Blue, Black, Broken (includes Tricolor), Castor, Chocolate, Himalayan, Chinchilla, Lilac, Opal, Lynx, Tortoise, Red, White and Seal. The males weigh between 3 to 4 1/4 pounds and the females between 3 1/4 to 4 ½ pounds. The life span is 10+ years. Their small size makes them easy to handle, house and feed. They are generally friendly and quite active and enjoy playing or even just being petted. Their plush coats, small size and friendly personalities make them one of the most popular rabbit breeds in the United States.
- The most amazing attribute is their plush fur which feels like velvet and has a distinct springy resistance to the touch. This breed is also known as the “Velveteen” rabbit due to its soft fur. This fur was caused by a mutation seen in wild rabbits in France. The coat is upright, thick and very short and the hair protrudes outside from the body instead of lying flat. The guard hairs are of the same length as the undercoat. Mini rex rabbits should not be brushed with a comb or a brush unless there is a distinct matt that needs to be removed. To remove loose hair, owner should dampen the palms of the hand until they are sticky, and then run them backwards over the rabbit’s coat. This will remove any loose hair and static electricity. These rabbits do not require much care.
- Rabbit diet should consist of fresh hay, fresh fruit and vegetables, fresh clean water and good quality rabbit pellets. Do ensure that their houses have a bedding of soft straw as their bald feet will develop split skin if kept on a wire floor. These rabbits usually have 6-8 babies per litter. They are easy to breed and are very good mothers. Mini Rex Rabbits excel at rabbit hopping!
- Mini Rex rabbits make excellent house rabbits. They are easy to toilet train and enjoy the company of other animals and humans. The Mini rex rabbit information given above clearly shows that it is a wonderful companion for both children and adults.
- Mini Rex Bunnies are sweet, cute, cuddly and adorable little creatures that have recently become quite popular as house pets, especially with families where there are young children. These rabbits make excellent companions because of several different factors, such as their graceful proportions, their plush fur coat and of course, their affable nature. Moreover, the average Mini Rex Rabbits size is fairly small, which means that even children can handle them without too much trouble. These animals are quite social and enjoy playing with their families as well as other rabbits.
- Many people believe that keeping a Mini Rex Rabbit as a pet is quite easy, as these bunnies do not require much care. However, this is true only to some extent. As compared to some of the other popular house pets, taking care of rabbits may be quite easy, yet there are several aspects of Mini Rex Rabbit facts that should be considered carefully, before adding one to a household as a pet. Since the average Mini Rex Rabbits life span is around 10 or more years with the proper care, it is important for pet owners to realize that looking after one of these rabbits is a long-term commitment. Therefore, it is important to get as much Mini Rex rabbits information as possible, before deciding to keep one as a pet.
- The Mini Rex Rabbit breed has been accepted as a new breed of rabbits in the United States as well as Great Britain. The American Rabbit Breeders Association first recognized the Mini Rex as a breed in the year 1988. Though there is a huge variety of Mini Rex colors that pet owners can choose from, the bunnies have to be of specific colors if they are going to be maintained as show bunnies, instead of house pets.
- These rabbits need to be fed a specific diet, in order to keep them fit and healthy. A Mini Rex rabbit can be kept in a hutch or a cage outside the house, in the basement or even within the house. Their home should be spacious, so that they have a lot of place to run about and play, but at the same time, they should be kept safe from other animals or predators. Mini Rex Bunnies startle easily, especially if they hear loud sounds and therefore, it is important to ensure that the environment they are kept in is free of loud noises. Mini Rex Rabbits are quite social by nature and so they need lots of attention from their owners to grow and thrive properly. This will allow them to reveal the affectionate and friendly side of their nature. They need to be petted and cuddled regularly, right from the time they are little kits (babies) till they are adult rabbits. It may not be a very good idea for children to hold the little kits. This is because kits need to be held securely or else they can squirm out of a person arms, fall and get injured. Therefore, children should only carry kits while they are sitting on soft terrain or grass, so that the risk of an injury is minimal.
- Most pet stores usually have Mini Rex Rabbits for sale for anywhere between $15 and $30. There are many professional breeders too that have Mini Rex Bunnies for sale at a similar cost. While choosing a rabbit of this breed, it is best to consult professional Mini Rex Rabbit breeders. This is because breeders usually help potential pet owners with information on how to take care for a particular bunny. It may also be advisable to consult a vet about the medical care and health problems associated with the Mini Rex Bunnies, before keeping one as a pet.